Starting university often means that you have to stay in a student residence, private accommodation close to the university or even live in a shared apartment. In these circumstances, taking out home insurance student will allow you to protect your belongings in the event of a claim. But how much does it cost? To help you make the right choice, here’s an idea of how much you’ll have to pay to be covered throughout your university studies.
home insurance student: the different advantages
You may think that taking out such insurance is a waste of money, but think again! This insurance is necessary for any student wishing to rent an apartment, a house,…alone or with a roommate. Indeed, it protects in case of :
- Fire, water damage or natural disaster: these disasters are very common in housing and usually occur when you least expect it.
- Theft of personal effects / burglary: at any time, you can be a victim of burglary. In such a situation, repairs can quickly escalate and as a student, paying such a bill can be a hassle. With a home insurance policy, you can rest assured that your insurer will be able to compensate you.
- If you have a dispute with your landlord, student home insurance will protect you in this case.
Some limitations of the insurance
It’s true that this insurance protects your property and your home in case of damage. However, it has its limits. In the event of certain losses, your insurer will not be able to intervene. These include :
- Burglary and theft due to wear and tear: it may happen that the burglary you have suffered may be caused by wear and tear on your lock, for example. In this case, the insurance company will have difficulty in covering the cost of repairs following this loss
- Undeclared theft of personal effects: if you have valuable objects in your home, the best thing to do is to declare them to your insurance company and to insure them. This will allow you to obtain compensation in case of a problem.
- theft of items in a place other than your home: if you keep your bicycle for example in the university parking lot, be aware that this is not covered by your insurance, unless you take out a separate insurance policy.
These different situations can vary from one insurance company to another. So, before you choose any company, be sure to check out the causes of the policy so that you are not caught off guard when the time comes.
How much does home insurance student cost?
There is no specific rate. You can find a company that offers a “classic” home insurance policy for as little as 2€ a month for a room or a studio and another that offers the same insurance for 10€, not including the guarantees. However, you should know that each insurer sets its price according to several parameters. We can mention among others:
- The location of the property
- The nature of the property,
- Its characteristics (age, occupants, surface area, number of rooms, outbuildings…),
- The climatic risks,
- The value of the goods…
- The guarantees included
To get the best price for your insurance, it is best to choose an insurer that does not offer any reduction or extension of coverage for students. You can also turn to an insurance comparator to make a good deal.